Behind the Blog: 25 Things About Me
This site uses affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you use my links and make a purchase, at no extra cost to you.
In full disclosure, writing this post made me totally uncomfortable. As much as I love blogging, I am a pretty private person in general, so I actually hate writing about myself! It’s far easier to write about packing, destinations and beauty products. And besides, The Belle Voyage is about YOU…not me!
BUT – I love reading these kinds of posts on other people’s blogs because I feel like I get to know the writer just a little bit better. One of the best things I’ve gotten out of blogging is relationships with other bloggers, and the more you know about someone, the easier it is to find common ground.
And I figure since it’s been over EIGHT YEARS that I’ve been blogging (what???), it’s high time to get a little better acquainted!
So without further ado…
25 Things About Me
1. I have two dogs, both are vizslas. Winston is 7, Dolce is 13, and lucky for me, they’re both champion snugglers.
2. I grew up in a tiny town of less than 5,000 people in Wisconsin….so yes, I am “Midwest nice”. Growing up in a small town is one of the things that inspired my drive to explore! I love being from Wisconsin, but these days, I’m happy to call San Diego home.
3. I played on a men’s ice hockey team in college. After growing up in Wisconsin this was very, very normal for me….but a bit unusual for my new friends in California.
4. Movie or book? I’ll pick a book, every time.
5. My first trip overseas was to Italy at age 15. It got me hooked on travel!
6. Places I have called home: Wisconsin, San Diego, LA, London, Melbourne, and Kyoto.
7. I have a black belt in tae kwon do.
8. My parents’ names are Barbie and Ken. For reals.
9. I’m a July baby, so I’m a cancerian, through and through. Sensitive, moody, and introspective. It’s like I was born to write!
10. I studied biology in college. I had planned on going to medical school until I had to take organic chemistry. Let’s just say that the two of us were not meant to be! Instead, I went to business school and then worked in the biotech industry for many years. Until….
11. In 2022, I quit my full-time corporate job to pursue blogging as my career. I still get so excited to wake up every day and blog, blog, blog…and I am so grateful for everyone who visits my little corner of the internet. THANK YOU.
12. My tastes in food are simple. At least that’s what I say – others might call me picky. Stuff I don’t eat: sushi (I know), shrimp, lobster, mushrooms, olives, calamari and lamb. You can take the girl out of the Midwest…
13. I have a (not so) secret love affair with London. I lived there for a while, and am crossing my fingers that it will happen again someday!
14. I love watching football, but only when one of my teams is playing. That means the Green Bay Packers, UCLA, or Wisconsin Badgers.
15. A few places in the US I’ve never been but want to visit: Maine, North Carolina, the Hamptons, and the Florida Keys. Have you been? Send me your recommendations!
16. In addition to blogging, I am also a portrait photographer. I love photographing families and their special moments.
17. I live in a house that is over 100 years old! It’s rare for California and actually has historic designation. It’s got a ton of charm but is short on closet space.
18. My hidden, but useless, talent? I know the lyrics to almost every song I’ve ever heard. Seriously, try me. It’s just a shame that I can’t sing and that there’s really no other use for this “talent”. Like, at all. If you can think of something, please, please send help.
19. Walking anywhere with me takes twice as long because I stop to pet every dog that comes my way.
20. I took Spanish from age 5 until I was 18. I can still speak it well enough to say what I need to say, but it might not be pretty. I would love to become fluent one day.
21. I never had a personal Facebook page until I started blogging! I’m still an infrequent social media user (I know, bad blogger)…but you can always find me here on this site!
22. I don’t like camping but I love camping food. Bring on the hot dogs and s’mores! And you’re correct – that means you’ll probably never see any camping guides here on The Belle Voyage. But I do love a good National Park (they’re all good). I’ll just be staying in a hotel 🙂
23. If I’m not traveling, you can find me at home with my espresso maker and a new cookbook or at the beach with my dogs. But most likely, I’m in front of my computer doing one of the many oh-so-glamorous things that bloggers do like updating links, accounting, and editing photos. Hey…just keepin’ it real.
24. I have a fascination with all things miniature.
25. I know it’s basic buuuuut…..Champagne is my drink of choice. Ironically, when I had the opportunity to visit Champagne, France, I didn’t make it….because I’d had too much Champagne the night before. C’est la vie!
So there you have it! Whew. I can relax now.
Ever written a post like this? Leave me a link in the comments section – I’d love to read it!